Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

St. Patrick's Day
St. Patrick's Day

Learn English meaning of ‘intrigue’

Date: Mar 16 2018

Themes: Holidays, Party, Pop Culture

Grammar: Relative Pronouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Ireland has a very interesting history. Before Christianity, their religions were polytheistic. Polytheism is when you believe in many gods. The Irish gods were very good storytellers, talented musicians, warriors, artists, and scholars. They were role models for the people. But now, most popular religions like Christianity are monotheistic, where there is only one god.

Saint Patrick was a slave in pagan Ireland for many years. He escaped, became Christian, and returned to convert thousands of Irish people to Christianity. He battled with the Druids, the priests, who he called “snakes” because he thought they were evil. Now, people celebrate the arrival of Christianity to Ireland on St. Patrick’s Day. But they celebrate in many different ways.

Romeo wants to talk about the true meaning of St. Patrick’s Day. Listen as he and Marni discuss in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Romeo

Romeo

Marni

Marni

Romeo:  I think the other day I overheard you talking about the true meaning of St. Patrick’s Day.

Marni:  Oh, wow.

Romeo:  Yeah, I’m kind of intrigued because I always thought St. Patrick’s Day was, like, you know, about wearing green, you know, going out with friends, and hanging out, you know, and stuff.

Marni:  Sure. OK.

Romeo:  Right.

Marni:  Right. So, the holiday originated because Christianity basically came to Ireland, right? And so, there’s St. Patrick who’s trying to rid Ireland of the snake scourge.

Romeo:  OK.

Marni:  Yeah.

Romeo:  So, is that where the color green comes into play? Because of the snakes?

Marni:  I don’t know. I think it’s like that that’s sort of our… sort of, you know, our Americanized version of St. Patrick’s Day. We came over here, and it was like, “Hey, let’s make it… How about a holiday that’s an excuse to wear green and drink a bunch?”

Romeo:  Oh, but the true meaning is about, you know, principles and rebellion.

Marni:  Well, and just like trying to, like, spread an ideal across Ireland.

Romeo:  OK.

Marni:  Across a nation.

Romeo:  Sure.

Marni:  Sure. Yeah.

Romeo:  Well, thank you for enlightening me.

Marni:  Yeah, so do you like to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day by wearing green?

Romeo:  I did, but now, I think I’m suffering from springtime depression.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Relative Pronouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Romeo overheard Marni talk about the real meaning of St. Patrick’s Day. In America, most people celebrate St. Patrick’s day by wearing green and going to parties, but they don’t know the history! Romeo is interested in why it is important as an Irish tradition. Marni tells him that St. Patrick’s Day honors St. Patrick who brought Christianity to Ireland.

Before Christianity, Ireland was pagan. Their priests were called Druids, and St. Patrick called them the “snake scourge.” He thought they were evil. Marni doesn’t know why we wear green on St. Patrick’s Day, though. She thinks it could just be an American thing. Romeo now knows the true meaning of St. Patrick’s Day… It’s about new morals and rebellion.

Have you heard of St. Patrick’s Day? Do you have a favorite patriotic tradition?

Comments

VicMiguel

VicMiguel

Mexico

hi…In mexico there is a bar , with celebrates st. patricks day , many people from ireland meet in that place. it’s a nice party. and they explain you the meaning of the celebration. 

09:14 PM Mar 16 2018 |

1 person likes this

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: