Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Changchun 长春 ??

aljensen

aljensen

United States

Has anyone ever been to Changchun?

I have a job offer from there. I am curious about the city.

I was hoping to work in Harbin or Shenyang in the north of China because I wish to study Mandarin.

Any advice?

03:56 PM May 02 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

airdwindle

airdwindle

China

Mandarin ? Why don't you go to Beijing to study it ?

03:14 AM May 03 2008 |

xiaoxiao1219

China

I think it's depend on yourself. I agree Bejing is the best place to learn Chinese language but there are still a lot of other places & north is more suitable to learn Mandarin than our south. :)))

08:03 AM May 03 2008 |

xiaoxiao1219

China

I haven't been to Changchun and other places which you mentioned above, I think it's a good place but it's still so cold now.

08:06 AM May 03 2008 |

xiajinlong

China

I have studied in Changchun four years!

You can have a touch with me!!

02:58 PM May 03 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I have heard that in Shanghai they don't really speak Mandarin, but a different dialect.

I hear that Changchun is a good city because the air is clean there. But then other people have said that the air is dusty.

I really would like to go to Tianjin (天津) to teach and to study. I hear that the people in 天津 have 卫嘴子 which means that they are gregarious and fun-loving. Is that true?

06:00 AM May 04 2008 |

aileench

aileench

China

In China, Every province has it's own dialect, especially in the south. In some southern provinces, even people live in the same provinces, they could speak several dialect. If we don't speak mandarin, it would be really difficult to communicate.

I have never been in Changchun, but I think it's quite ok for you studying mandarin.  for mandarin studying, the northern city is better than southern.

卫嘴子,in english we called "Tianjin mouth", term for the stereotype of the always-eloquent and sometimes-humorous Tianjin native. Tianjin also has it's own dialect, though Tianjin it's close to Beijing, but Tianjin dialect is quite different from Beijing dialect.

06:59 AM May 04 2008 |

Justy

Justy

China

Changchun,Harbin and Shenyang are the biggst city in  the northeast of China.They are three of China's old industrial bases.

Like you say,Shanghai people don't really speak mandarin.But almost all people can speak mandarin except the old people.If you speak them with mandarin,they also speak mandarin to you

09:09 AM May 04 2008 |

xianyou

xianyou

China

I'm studying in changchun. where are you now? Have you arrived here? 

01:52 PM May 04 2008 |

aljensen

aljensen

United States

I think the important thing is to go to a place where people speak Mandarin as their native language, that is, as the language they speak at home, with their friends, and on the streets, not just in school or perhaps at work. 

I am planning on going, right now I am looking for schools to teach at.

05:38 PM May 04 2008 |