Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Obama wins..

devindernagpal

India

Friends,

Are you happy with victory of Obama ?

05:07 PM Jun 05 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

gkisseberth

Germany

Btw greg,do you as an american also think that gun is an essential thing for you?do you also will vote for a candidate who approve gun-ownership policy?

Mike, I don't think a gun is essential for me to have personally, especially as I do not have the training I believe I need to be a responsible gun owner.

However, I feel very strongly about the issue and agree with the Constitution of my country that owning a weapon is a fundamental right. I would absolutely vote for a candidate who agrees with the supreme law of the country, and I would generally be opposed to candidate who would seek to weaken that right.  

The second amendment to the Constitution (which affirms that right) was not written in response to poor police protection, but in order to make very clear our founders views on the freedoms enjoyed by all men. It was added to our Constitution in 1791.  

02:10 AM Jun 07 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

07:02 AM Jun 07 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

What we should wait and see is wether americans are ready to have a black president in the white house..(??)
peace =)

I dont think his skin is an issue for us to questioning whether he's qualified or not to be a president. what people should question are his plans. I could care less if he's white, latino or chinese. as long as he is Barack Obama I will support him.

and Barack is a half caucasian if you ask me.

07:08 AM Jun 07 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

I dont think his skin is an issue for us to questioning whether he's qualified or not to be a president.

But jane I don't think that all americans would agree with you. yeah america is famous for democracy and liberal principal, but please be honest with yourself and us.america is consist of SOME racist people.yeah maybe it's just a few but still there's exist some..

and Barack is a half caucasian if you ask me.

yeah I know it jane. but still some people would only judge from his appearances. right?  

01:10 PM Jun 07 2008 |

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

but in order to make very clear our founders views on the freedoms enjoyed by all men

but don't you think that the founding fathers had over did it?

I think giving freedom to have weapon is just enhance the number of crimes.yeah maybe it'd help people to gain their security but it'd also give people the chance and opportunity to harm other if they didn't have qualified moral standard having it.y'know with gun in hand some people would give them more malicity to others..

just my opinion.. 

01:20 PM Jun 07 2008 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

So far, it has been a victory for america. Martin Luther King and Malcolm will be very happy to see Obama win the big election.

01:41 PM Jun 07 2008 |

nanita1208

nanita1208

Morocco

hi everyone i always thought that hillary is a little weak to be the president of the usa and obama is strong but very mysterious and i don't really think  that he's being different from BUCH but still i think he can make some good changes .

03:32 PM Jun 07 2008 |

gkisseberth

Germany

but in order to make very clear our founders views on the freedoms enjoyed by all men

but don't you think that the founding fathers had over did it?

Not at all, Mike. I think it is a fundamental right to be able to defend yourself, and defend yourself with force if necessary. I think our founders also realized that the best way to subjugate a people, and the best way to control them is to disarm them. Governments should always have a little fear of the people. 

I think giving freedom to have weapon is just enhance the number of crimes.yeah maybe it'd help people to gain their security but it'd also give people the chance and opportunity to harm other if they didn't have qualified moral standard having it.y'know with gun in hand some people would give them more malicity to others..

I disagree that freedom to have weapons increase the number of crimes. If a person does not have the moral standards to avoid being a criminal they will commit crimes regardless of the weapons they may or may not have. Laws do not not deter people. Consequences do. And if your victim has the ability to defend themselves you might actually think about not committing the crime. 

I also disagree with your thought that having a gun might make someone less moral. There are bad people and good people, and I don't think their morals are affected by the fact that they have a weapon 

Many think that keeping weapons away from bad people is a good idea. I agree. But not at the expense of keeping good people from exercising their rights. 

04:55 PM Jun 07 2008 |

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Indonesia

for those who said obama is  very mysterious you people obviously never read yahoo news lol..because seriously, there always one new story about Obama every 30 minutes.

just saying..:)

ps: they need to leave him alone I dont want to hear what does he eat for breakfast in news….lol. 

07:32 PM Jun 07 2008 |

ophilia

ophilia

China

will obama be the final winer? i think it is very hard to come true.don't know why, i have been feeling that in caucasian dominant countries,the chances for an african-american to be a president are very slim.

hope people's view can get changed after the big election in usa.

even if obama loses the election, it not necessarily means discrimination. partly, maybe it is because he isn't experienced in politics.

02:13 AM Jun 08 2008 |