Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle

Date: Jan 25 2010

Themes: Music, Pop Culture

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Nobody expected very much from Susan Boyle when she first walked onto the stage of the reality show Britain’s Got Talent last year. In fact, many people in the audience, as well as the show’s judges, laughed at her or made fun of her because of how she looked. But once she began to sing, they changed their tune.

Susan Boyle wowed everyone with that first performance, and although she finished second on Britain’s Got Talent, she has gone on to become one of the top-selling artists of last year, with her album I Dreamed a Dream. Susan’s story is one reason why people say you “shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.” But some wonder if this overnight sensation really has enough talent and endurance for a long-lasting career in showbiz. Find out what Beren and Dale think.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Beren

Beren

Dale

Dale

Beren:  Dale, tell me about Susan Boyle. I don’t know anything about this lady. She just came out of nowhere. Everybody’s obsessed.

Dale:  What was really funny is that I got this email not too long ago to watch and listen to this person. It was such a surprise. I popped it open and you just kinda look at her going, “Who is this lady?” And all of a sudden, she just blew me away. She was such a surprising voice. It was very angelic, very operatic. It was very stunning to see something that refreshing and a voice that you…you actually kind of feel bad in some ways because you already judged a book by its cover.

Beren:  Whoa. Well, I heard she’s the second-best-selling artist in 2009.

Dale:  Not only that, I mean she just came out of nowhere to even to do that. She was on the British comedy Britain’s Got Talent.

Beren:  Oh, I don’t know about that. Is it like American Idol, or…

Dale:  It was actually Britain’s Got Talent and then America’s Got Talent came after. And so when Susan Boyle showed up there, her hits off of YouTube blew up, everybody talked about her. She’s just everywhere. And she still will be, for a long time, to be everywhere.

Beren:  Really? Does she tour?

Dale:  She’s starting to tour.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Beren heard a lot about Susan Boyle but she didn’t know who she was. Dale explains that he saw a video of the 48-year-old talent show competitor singing, and it blew him away. He thinks she has a beautiful voice.

Dale felt guilty after he watched the video of Susan singing, because he realized that he had judged her based on her appearance. He didn’t think she’d be a good singer because she wasn’t young or beautiful. But after he heard Susan sing, he realized that you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.

Have you ever judged a book by its cover? What do you think will happen to Susan Boyle in the future?

Comments

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

We had the same, dear Julito. It was nonearthy voice!

11:45 AM Jan 11 2012 |

2 people like this

julito

julito

Argentina

Kotleysa, Msx,  that voice can only come from God. The first time I heard  her    singing i HAD GOOSE BUMPS . i don´t know what happend with you.

11:42 AM Jan 11 2012 |

2 people like this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

MsX, I also agree with you. Susan Boyle is sincere and natural. What can be better?? Let us look around. Do you see? The world is FED UP with artificial people and music.  Purity where are you?????

11:36 AM Jan 11 2012 |

2 people like this

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

I like her because she is sincere and natural. For me she is much more pleasant than empty long-legged girls with prosthetic breasts and lips from glossy magazine covers. I wholly agree with kotlesya here.

09:01 AM Jan 11 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

A year ago I have seen the recording of the the reality show Britain’s Got Talent . The audience made fun of her because of her appearance of the silly lady I suppose, but when she started to sing…...... the complete silence, surprise and delight occupied the hall :) It is very wise saying:”Do not judge a book by its cover”. I always prefer to see the inner world of the person I”m talking with to make any judgement about this person for myself aftwerwards. The appearance of the person is absolutely not important for me. The great features are soul and intelligence. So, look deeply! Smile

08:52 AM Jan 11 2012 |

1 person likes this

Vhung

Canada

Just close your eyes and listen to her signing. Now, you should know the reason why people should not judge a book by its cover.

06:44 PM Sep 02 2011 |

neunnt

Viet Nam

I listen to i have dreamed a dream by susan, she has wonderful voice. everyone know her more. i mean, young people follow her sucessful carreer. never  give up their dream as long as thier appearance look like a mess.they can do everything if they pursue an aspiration

I guess, many musicianwant towrite song for her. they think

05:18 AM Apr 06 2011 |

dkattleya

dkattleya

Indonesia

too bad i have not heard her voice yet…i'm curious because everybody is talking how good she is.. some people still do to judge a book by its cover, but I think we should not do it..

05:01 AM Dec 06 2010 |

Eva panda

Eva panda

China

congratulations to susan~~Embarassed

i really hope that would show many talents ppl as susan

04:39 AM Mar 25 2010 |

dikry

dikry

Philippines

amazing but her time is done ….

08:07 AM Feb 22 2010 |

bbirde

bbirde

Bosnia and Herzegovina

she is very talent

04:31 PM Feb 09 2010 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Oh yeah sometimes…It's part of human being to do it,unfortunaletly…In my area Physical Education is normal to happen it…For instance,some people don't relate to others because their physical appearance…

I heard about Susan Boyle and I also heard that her success has finished! So as well as people become overnight sensation the media makes they disappear ;)

10:46 PM Feb 08 2010 |

flylover

flylover

Georgia

yup she has brilliant voice. And it's truth: Never judge a person by his/her appearance.In my country we have analogue her:). 

02:21 PM Feb 04 2010 |

s id

Saudi Arabia

we should n`t judge a book by its cover

08:45 PM Jan 31 2010 |

germaine881111

China

wow!!!!!

05:27 PM Jan 31 2010 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

I think life didn't kill her dream :)

wish to hear more inspiring songs by her :) ..

11:51 AM Jan 31 2010 |

rebel lee

rebel lee

China

Actually,most of us always judge a book by its cover.It’s kind of stereotype.Sometimes we are right,but sometimes not.The cover of a book is sort of important,but the real important things is the content of a book.
Susan will be popular for about 5 years or 10 years.Good luck for her.

01:51 AM Jan 30 2010 |

raul1002

raul1002

Peru

She's amazing. She showed us that the appeareance doesn't really important much.

03:57 PM Jan 27 2010 |

Poema

Poema

Uzbekistan

I pretty much sure that soon we will find out that one of the new Disney's heros singing with Susan Boyle voice. :)

02:03 PM Jan 27 2010 |

廖慧倫

廖慧倫

Taiwan

she's voice is so nice!

good!!Smile

08:49 AM Jan 27 2010 |

Likes (24):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo