Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

on your toes

简体
on your toes
保持警觉

Date: Nov 15 2012

Themes: Romance

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“She keeps you on your toes and that wakes you up.”

- Andrew Garfield, on his Amazing Spider-Man costar and girlfriend, Emma Stone. (People)

“她使你保持警觉并将你唤醒。”

- 安德鲁·加菲尔德 (Andrew Garfield) 谈论《超凡蜘蛛侠》(Amazing Spider-Man) 中的搭档和女友艾玛·斯通 (Emma Stone)。

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

alert, ready

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

If you are standing around and not expecting anything to happen, you may be leaning back on your heels. If you want to be ready to spring into action, however, like if you’re playing the outfield in a baseball game, you’d better be on your toes!

When Andrew Garfield says that his co-star Emma Stone keeps him on his toes, he means that he never knows what to expect from her. He’s got to be ready for anything at any moment. Clearly, he likes that quality, because she’s his girlfriend, too!

Do you know people who really keep you on your toes?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“You have to be on your toes at this job. Anything can happen!”

“The weather around here definitely keeps you on your toes. It can change in an instant!”

“Sometimes it’s hard being your friend, but at least you keep me on my toes. “

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

constantly active, active all the time.
by bellaboo2422
To be alert, ready to go or move
by Irene Forever
klkl Be alert
by klkl
TO MAKE YOU READY FOR SOMETHING HAPPEN.
by Leen21
 julito extremely alert !!
by julito

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

kabir2000

Nigeria

Hi

06:06 PM Feb 22 2015 |

alzhbeta

alzhbeta

Belarus

yeah, I know someone who always keeps me on my toes. 

That is my teacher of german. He’s an unpredictable guy. my group never know what to expect on the lesson. I very like it, cause that makes our education faster, creative and extremely interesting. 

10:19 PM Nov 20 2012 |

1 person likes this

sarasabamina

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Someone on his or her toes is alert and ready to go.

03:32 PM Nov 20 2012 |

Nina__smith

Australia

u should try much and say i can do it it’s really easybut don’t belive it’s really hard and i can’t do itTongue out

06:04 PM Nov 18 2012 |

niyooshar

niyooshar

I love to be a ballerianSmile but I don`t know how to do Frown

01:21 PM Nov 18 2012 |

Liana's Dream

United States

oh hey i’m a ballet dancer i can do it fast it’s very easy for meWink

01:07 PM Nov 17 2012 |

Yeyung

Yeyung

South Korea

my sister is a ballerian and she can do that

06:23 PM Nov 16 2012 |

princessanika

i can do that it’s really hard but i can do,i should try very much for do that but it’s very beautiful when u are on your toes and dance balletLaughing

10:49 AM Nov 16 2012 |

sanjukmr

India

You have to be on your toes if you are a cop.

10:52 PM Nov 15 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

A2020,   I guess that this is how your chief  feels that he is superior to you.   I have also been in the army and this is nothing new to meYell

09:28 PM Nov 15 2012 |

Adat

Costa Rica

Children nowadays definitely keeps you on your toes. Now they are more clever and rascal than ever, you can expect anything from them, sometimes they make you laugh and some other times they just leave you speechless.

08:17 PM Nov 15 2012 |

bellaboo2422

Pakistan

i feel i am like always on my toes. there are lot of things to do in my life and its get hard somtime:(. yep i know a person who always keep me on my toes all the time. its the way how life is and we have to go through it i think. we cannot quit from the rutiens but we can take break from it and its so amazing sometime to leave everything behinde and just take rest or have fun. another thing is foot massage if we can have:) just kidding. actully i am out of my mind at this time. so please don’t mind guys. i am lil tired now after being on my toes all the day and its time to take break on my cosy bed and dream time is waiting of mine. so twiddle your thumb my lil toes;).

06:59 PM Nov 15 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I agree 

The low blows I have endured in my life are what keep me on my toes the most. There’ve been some difficult events and situations that I struggle not to re-experience ever again. I’m not paranoid nor do I wear a leotard but keep my toes well-rooted to the ground ;). People make the silly mistake of lowering their guards once they’ve overcome certain circumstances.  When they’re faced with those stubborn circumstances again they rationalize that they’re the unluckiest persons roaming this earth. They failed to realize that when life teaches you a harsh lesson, be prepared to be tested on it sooner or later.

They are other type of people who just lean on their heels thinking they’re the luckiest persons on earth and nothing can’t seem to go wrong in their lives. Those people although they have many reasons to believe there’s a lucky star smiling down on them, need someone to keep them on their toes. Life is full of surprises some are good, some are bad. The frequency and sequence of those events are beyond our internal locus of control.  One thing you often hear those people say “I can’t believe this happened to me!”

My alertness isn’t totally inherent or instinctive. This is something that I had acquired through advice I was given or overheard- I never rebuff any advice on the basis that it’s not relating to me in anyways. I can’t say that the education that I received from my guardian isn’t keeping me on my toes.

You can’t be too sure, you can’t be too careful ;)

04:28 PM Nov 15 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

What is life if not  a constant challenge  that keeps up  dancing on our toes ,and I am   grateful  for that , otherwise my tendency  would be  to take life  for granted  and don´t make any effort  to overcome  the obstacles that  come my way.Frown

03:40 PM Nov 15 2012 |

hamida_a

hamida_a

Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

some people keeps me on my toes, to be ready for big change will happen to my live at any time !

02:58 PM Nov 15 2012 |

mr.qduri

mr.qduri

Nigeria

be ready

06:29 AM Nov 15 2012 |

eshmp

eshmp

these days my life keeps me on my toes:) it’s really unpredictableSmile

05:49 AM Nov 15 2012 |

Jullieta