Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Heat Stroke
Heat Stroke

Learn English with this heat stroke English lesson

Date: Sep 03 2018

Themes: Health, Weather

Grammar: Present Perfect Progressive

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

When the outside temperature starts soaring, staying cool and drinking enough water is not only important for being comfortable, it’s also important for staying healthy. If you’re outside in the summer and it’s really hot, you should try not to walk very fast or very far. Even if you’re used to spending lots of time outside, extreme heat can quickly make you miserable.

When people don’t pay attention to their bodies’ needs, they might get heat stroke. It’s a medical condition that can give you a headache, make you shake, and even cause you to black out. If it’s really hot and you start feeling tired or weak, drink some water ASAP. You’ll likely feel better once you are hydrated again.

Did Gary get heat stroke? Find out what happened in today’s English lesson about summer weather.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Gary

Gary

Rafael

Rafael

Gary:  It is so hot outside.

Rafael:  Terrible. Awful.

Gary:  I was walking around today.

Rafael:  Why?

Gary:  Because I needed to go places.

Rafael:  How long have you been walking?

Gary:  I think it was like two or three hours.

Rafael:  Holy cow! How did you not get heat stroke?

Gary:  In fact, I think I did. I fell on the ground. I was so tired. And my body temperature was soaring. Just to touch my arms was actually hot. Like painful hot.

Rafael:  Ow! That must have been miserable.

Gary:  It was awful.

Rafael:  Did you just black out and then wake up later? Or what happened?

Gary:  For a few seconds, I think I did. But it wasn’t that long because someone helped me up right away. But I must have pushed myself to the limit.

Rafael:  Well, you ought to get inside into the air conditioning. Your body temperature needs to drop.

Gary:  Yeah. I also needed a lot of water after that. So, somebody gave me a couple glasses, and I just sat there for a few minutes and then was able to walk. And I didn’t feel weird anymore.

Rafael:  I am so sorry. That sounds really miserable.

Gary:  It’s pretty awful, actually, and I was told it was pretty dangerous. But it’s the first time it’s ever happened to me.

Rafael:  Well, if no one had found you, you could have been in a worse situation.

Gary:  Yeah. That’s kind of scary.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Progressive" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

It’s really hot outside, and Gary’s been walking much too long. Rafael is worried about his friend and asks how Gary stayed cool. It turns out, Gary didn’t.

Since Gary was walking for several hours, he did not stay hydrated and got heat stroke. It made him hot, weak, and tired. Eventually, he fell over on the street.

Thankfully, someone gave Gary some water to drink, and he felt better. Rafael is glad somebody found his friend. He tells Gary if no one had helped him, he would have been in a worse situation.

Have you ever had heat stroke? How do you stay cool in the summer?

Comments

amy19890909

China

I have not had heat stroke. I always dream more water, stay in cool situation. I may move around my place when I feel terrible because of the hot weather.

04:53 AM Sep 10 2014 |

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

some heat strokes are beautiful in life )))

11:50 AM Sep 06 2014 |

1 person likes this

max1983max

max1983max

Germany

Incident on the clothing market: a grandmother who sells panama, got heat stroke.

07:24 PM Sep 04 2014 |

1 person likes this

etmln

etmln

Mongolia

when I was little I remember that  I had heat stoke a couple of times. but for now not yet. when its very hot outside I hate going out. but sometimes busy day taking a lot of water I go out and then I walk along shady places without the direct sunlight. Its my protection 

04:48 PM Sep 04 2014 |

1 person likes this

HAMAL

HAMAL

Yemen

it happened with me today when i walked at noon  its bad feeling and you have feel  you will sleeping but no way  with headach  you stil laying   anhour or 2 hours 

07:38 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

HAMAL

HAMAL

Yemen

it happened with me today when i walked at noon  its bad feeling and you have feel  you will sleeping but no way  with headach  you stil laying   anhour or 2 hours 

07:38 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

AURA

AURA

Turkey

Whenever I get outdoors a little, I always have heat stroke and it causes me to black out. As a rule, I look for a shade immediately. However, if there’s isn’t any shade, I try to go a shopping mall and buy a plastic bottle water untill I feel better.

06:06 PM Sep 03 2014 |

2 people like this

Spiderman198426

Philippines

no i never had it before, i always think to bring something to cool me whenever i go out   in summer, like a handy water spray, a tumbler that is  filled up of water, and a ready to grab mini fan from my bag.Aside from that leaving cap in my locker, also a way to get a protection against  direct suns heat in lunch time when want to have it outside. 

05:32 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

rabindra shrestha

Nepal

in nepal no problem of heat stroke

03:56 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

mandana.z

mandana.z

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

here in south of iran, the temprature is 45c all the summer, the natives can stand this terible degre , but an unacustomed can’t stand it even for 10 min.

always people stand in home till night, or do their works at morning…

03:40 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

In Congo the It’s 37 degree all the time, that’s weird, and most of people get that heat stroke…

01:54 PM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

Michele1

Michele1

Italy

I know well that kind of problem.In fact, I often work at my farm and ,on the summer time, the outside temperature increases so easily and walking nearby the stone’s wall on the border,I feel like in a owen… before to feel not well or to have black out,I put my head under a fresh water pipe for few seconds and then go to drink something not very cold and to stop working.

09:58 AM Sep 03 2014 |

johnzhong55

China

The season is first autumn  in here ,but the temperature so high,we must ASAP  stay in office or home ,maybe i ever had been heat stroke,when i was felt uncomfortable,i should drank a lot of water that was inter salt ,or drank Coca Cola.in home or office temperature starts soraing,always we were opend the fans or air conditioner to drop the temperature.

07:32 AM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

Cyrus532

Cyrus532

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i’m really thermic and i can’t be under of extreme sunshine. if i be in the situation, %100 i get heat stroke and now in iran is summer, of course it’s cool these days comparing to before. Have a good weather :)

07:07 AM Sep 03 2014 |

hamid123

hamid123

Algeria

if you wanna try this come to the desert of algeria… it is so cool .. but no water there… be happy they will find you..hhh

06:11 AM Sep 03 2014 |

YIN WAN

YIN WAN

China

it has ever happened to me. need pay attention.

02:35 AM Sep 03 2014 |

1 person likes this

Likes (15):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: