Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Go the Extra Mile
Go the Extra Mile English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of 'go the extra mile'

Date: Sep 08 2015

Themes: Friend, Romance, Soap Opera

Grammar: Adverbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

If you’re lucky, there’s someone in your life who will do anything for you. It might be someone in your family, or a friend you have known for a long time. Often it’s a boyfriend or girlfriend. This person is willing to help you, even when you’ve made mistakes. He or she is ready to go the extra mile for you.

It’s important that these people in our lives know how much they are appreciated! Take time from your day to write a thank you note, text, or email. Call them on the phone, or take them out to dinner. More importantly, try to be that kind of person for someone else. We all need a friend who is watching out for us.

Brian tells Sara that Gary will go the extra mile for anyone. Learn more in today’s English lesson.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Brian

Brian

Sara_R

Sara_R

Brian:  Hey, Sara! How’s it going?

Sara_R:  Not bad. What’s new?

Brian:  I just finished my first cooking class.

Sara_R:  Oh, yeah?

Brian:  Gary is treating me to a cooking class. He wants to become better at cooking, so he invited me to join him.

Sara_R:  That was nice of him.

Brian:  Gary is always willing to go the extra mile for a friend.

Sara_R:  That is a great quality in a person.

Brian:  Yeah. Last week he helped his uncle move into his new house.

Sara_R:  I’ll bet he appreciated that.

Brian:  And he often gives me rides to school.

Sara_R:  That’s cool.

Brian:  In fact, he frequently volunteers at the homeless shelter down the street from work.

Sara_R:  OK, Brian. I get it! Gary is the kind of guy who will go the extra mile for someone.

Brian:  He is.

Sara_R:  Someone like me?

Brian:  Exactly. Let me tell you more great things about Gary.

Sara_R:  OK.

Brian:  He is my best friend in the whole world.

Sara_R:  Uh-huh.

Brian:  I’ve known him for 20 years…

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adverbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Brian is a really good friend to Gary. He knows that Gary likes Sara, so he’s telling Sara all about Gary and the nice things he does for people. For example, Gary is treating Brian to a cooking class. He’s also helpful to his family and kind to his friends.

Sara understands right away what Brian is doing. It’s clear that he’s trying to show Sara what a great guy Gary is and why she should like him, too. It’s not clear if Sara likes Gary as well, however. She listens to Brian’s stories, but she doesn’t share her own feelings.

Should Sara and Gary go on a date? Do you go the extra mile for your friends and family?

Comments

fcesur93

fcesur93

Turkey

i think Sara likes Gary too. because when Brain tells Sara about Gary, Sara listens him and smiles. so she likes that. i think, they should go on a date :)

i go the extra mile for people that i like.

10:01 PM Sep 10 2015 |

maybe_more

Ukraine

No, not really. I do not go the extra mile for others and do not expect them to do something extra for myself. Take care of yourself and be concious of your choices and deeds

10:49 AM Sep 09 2015 |

Wuthering

United States

I am runing out of words how to describe Pretty Sarah , I would go the extra mile for her ….hihihihihi…... lol …. I am serious !!

03:48 PM Sep 08 2015 |

1 person likes this

NIJ321655

NIJ321655

United States

cat woman go the Mile.

02:33 PM Sep 08 2015 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Spider-Man I will follow you with extra more miles!

11:21 AM Sep 08 2015 |

NavidArash

NavidArash

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Pinocchio

Pinocchio was my favorite cartoon from my childhood, Pinocchio like many of us always tries to look for shortcuts instead of going the extra mile to achieve his goals and that’s why swindlers like Honest John the Fox and his companion, Gideon the Cat come up with a lot of shortcuts and easy ways to cheat him. After a series of misadventures, he conclude that there is no alternative than going the extra mile and this fact led him to become a real human.

09:37 AM Sep 08 2015 |

Spiderman198426

Philippines

Gary should do a first move .lol. Yes , sometimes, if it deserves to do it to someone. It may sound greedy but seeing one thing worthiness, why not?I would go the extra mile without hesitation and go even more than that .

06:00 AM Sep 08 2015 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

If the person is going to walk an extra mile for you even if a friend made a mistake or sort of doesn’t deserve, that person has got a real golden heart. I think it’s a good philosophy to help unconditionally. I think it’s a gift that cannot be appraised.

04:23 AM Sep 08 2015 |

takeya

takeya

Japan

I think the exact reason why someone goes the extra mile is that he or she really likes other one. I like to go the extra mile, my friends appreciating me and feeling happy.

03:24 AM Sep 08 2015 |

Likes (12):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast