Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

pep talk

pep talk

Date: Nov 17 2016

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

I give myself a pep talk and visualize the routine. I tell myself: “I can do this, let’s go!”

—Olympic Athlete Gabby Douglas, speaking about how she prepares for a competition (popsugar.com)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

short speech to encourage someone

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Sometimes, we can all use a little bit of encouragement. Life is stressful. It can be difficult to believe in ourselves when we’re under pressure. You might be nervous about an important exam or a job interview. Your sports team might be about to play an important game. Or you might just being struggling to get out of bed in the morning! At times like this, we need something to make us feel better. We need a pep talk.

A pep talk is a speech or conversation that makes us feel better. For example, you might give your friend a pep talk if she is sad about breaking up with her boyfriend. Your parents might give you a pep talk if you are nervous about school. If you play a sport, your coach might give the team a pep talk before a big game. You can even give yourself a pep talk if you are nervous or upset about something. Olympic athlete Gabby Douglas tells herself, “I can do this. Let’s go,” before every gymnastics competition she does. Her pep talks must work… so far, she has won eight gold medals!

Have you ever given yourself a pep talk?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Sarah is really sad about the breakup. You’re her best friend, so you should give her a pep talk.”

“The students were really nervous, so the teacher gave them a quick pep talk before handing out the exam.”

“We were sad that our team lost the game, but our coach gave us a pep talk and took us out for pizza afterward.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Encouraging and motivating talk.
by La Princesse de la vie
julito1 A vigorous talk to arouse enthusiasm
by julito1

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Manol

Manol

Syrian Arab Republic

I can do it , every trouble and every problem has to end this is always my pep talk to go on this life .

07:16 PM Nov 17 2016 |

1 person likes this

ShiningSun

ShiningSun

United Kingdom

It’s all right to get sometimes pep talk but overdependence on it feels to me something very sissy.

06:07 PM Nov 17 2016 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

everyone needs pep talk ,it can be strong touching the life when in strees,nervous,depression times..especially someone supports and courage us when we had hardtimes and bad mood..

11:36 AM Nov 17 2016 |

1 person likes this

Fatihurat

Fatihurat

Turkey

For sarah

Don’t care about him you are deserving of better like me 

Students,

You all can  succeed in so easy exam if you use  your mind a bit 

Sport team , You showed everyone good struggle and not being easy boys, next match we will run them over 

08:16 AM Nov 17 2016 |

1 person likes this

demure

demure

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Every day I give my self a  pep talk D:

I thing all the Ppl even a one time, give them selfs a pep talk Bcz when ever you do not do this I think you will be a  Depressed person!!! 

03:28 AM Nov 17 2016 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast