Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Float Tank
Float Tank

Learn English meaning of ‘float tank’

Date: Jun 26 2017

Themes: Health, Hobbies

Grammar: Prepositions

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

People do many wacky things when they need to relax. People want to get away from technology. They want a break from the stress of everyday life. They want to unwind. Lots of people are trying float tanks. Float tanks are large tanks filled with salt water. People can float in these tanks. It is very quiet and very dark. For many people, floating in these tanks is very soothing.

Some people say that float tanks can help if you have a lot of muscle pain. Maybe, you have a job as a waitress. Waitresses are on their feet all day. This might make your knees hurt or your back hurt. Spending some time in a float tank might take this pain away. Even if you think float tanks are spooky, it might be worth the pain relief!

Listen as Jordin tells Kelsey about float tanks in this English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jordin

Jordin

Kelsey

Kelsey

Jordin:  Have you ever been to a float tank?

Kelsey:  What’s that?

Jordin:  Well, it’s this place where you go, and it’s a tank filled with water. And the water has a lot of salt in it. And it has all the salt in it because then when you’re in there you float. And then they, like, turn off all the lights. And you just are in there on your own. And it’s supposed to be super therapeutic. I don’t know. I’ve never done it before. But one just opened down the street, and I kind of want to try it.

Kelsey:  I think I’ve heard of these and it just sounds kind of wacky.

Jordin:  Well, I don’t know. I think it sounds kind of nice. It’s like a way to get away from all the technology, and all the people, and just to unwind.

Kelsey:  I don’t know, it sounds really spooky. Like, you’re just in a little tank by yourself, in the dark, floating, like…

Jordin:  Well, I don’t know.

Kelsey:  …I don’t think I could relax.

Jordin:  People say it’s supposed to be really soothing, actually, and that you feel very rejuvenated afterwards.

Kelsey:  I don’t know. It doesn’t seem worth it because, from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty expensive.

Jordin:  Is it expensive?

Kelsey:  I think so. And it just sounds like you’re paying money to be scared for 90 minutes.

Jordin:  OK. I didn’t know it was expensive, but I don’t think it would be scary.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Prepositions" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jordin asks Kelsey if she’s ever been to a float tank. Kelsey doesn’t know what a float tank is. Jordin says it is a tank filled with salt water. They turn off all the lights, and you can float in the tank while it’s dark. Jordin says it is very therapeutic.

Kelsey thinks float tanks sound wacky and spooky. Jordin tries to tell her that it is actually soothing. Kelsey says float tanks are expensive. She does not want to spend a lot of money just to be scared. Jordin does not think float tanks will be scary.

Have you ever tried a float tank? Was it scary?

Comments

s11211s

s11211s

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

It’s kind of new business, The business’s idea sound interesting. There are a lot of new idea to making money, some of them like this, as Kelsey thinks are wacky and spooky!

In my opinion float tank is scary and it isn’t worth to scare and spend a lot of many to do that!

From my point of view going to a calm place like a calm beach or being in a distance island for a while time could help me to feel relaxed, renew myself and it could rejuvenate me. But of course this is a dream!
Float tank is artificial method for relaxing, human needs nature, not what human made it.

10:05 AM Jun 26 2017 |

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

No I hv never tried a float tank but i want to, hope one would open around soon.

03:57 AM Jun 26 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I’ve never tried a float tank, I guess it is not very common in Brazil, anyway, if it were famous over here I wouldn’t feel curious about trying it!

I’d not say it would be scaring or soothing but I wouldn’t like to pay an expensive price to find out it is a wacky thing!

12:28 AM Jun 23 2017 |

Likes (2):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast