Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An idea suddenly occured to me! Let's improve our english together ! Stir youself!!!1

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Let's go folks! One slang on day!

An idea suddenly occurred to me …......we can share the slangs or useful expressions you learned from movies or songs and you think very useful and practical in daily life  together…...................

There are many slangs in english and some of them can't be found in your textbook…. i think only the native speakers understand the deep meaning of it….

but they are very useful and enrich  your language ., the problem is we seldom have the oppotunity to use them in our daily life so despite that we may have read the slang b4 but forget it very soon…......

eg :"she is always running the show' means she is the boss she decides …......

04:32 AM Apr 15 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

black"n"blue

Saudi Arabia

its not my fault it went wrong " it means i didnt do it haha i love it.

12:16 PM Apr 15 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

I'm glad, after so many years learning the language, you brought up the idea.I really appreciate your effort to shed some light on how important but also difficult getting and using Slangs.Let's do it anyhow if we want to make some progress.Innocent

05:14 AM Apr 16 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Easy street ….

He could walk up and down easy street.

John has no siblings. So when his parents passed away, he inherited everything from the family—-properities, bank savings, stocks and a big house. He 's really living on easy street.

the slang means an easy and comfortable life which don't need you to work hard and you can still lead a cool life….........

(The only problem is i am not sure whether this slang is so useful/practical…....i don't hope the slang is the one which can only be found in textbook….......)

10:57 AM Apr 16 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

the one who read this post please leave at least 1 slang or idiom which you have learnt and you think useful ot interesting…............

Practical ones are better….........

remember one slang one day…........you will know at least 365 slangs a year…if we can share ours here we can get more at the end of the year…..........play up!!!!!

10:59 AM Apr 16 2007 |

jasmin1976

jasmin1976

Tunisia

"Between the devil and the deep sea"

To choose between 2 equally bad alternatives in a serious dilemma. I think it's an idiom. 

07:34 PM Apr 16 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

Did you ever hear somebody say 'SHOP TILL YOU DROP

Does the expression means you continue to buy things until you feel exhausted or run out of your money because you like the activity so much?

07:22 AM Apr 17 2007 |

phamtran

phamtran

Viet Nam

it is very happy for every one like it. I have learnt english for many years but my english is not progress.
I want to talk and write in english very much. I want to make friend all of you to exchange english.

07:38 AM Apr 17 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

edorado…..yes , right ..shop till you drop  means:"shop until you are too tired to continue shopping" 

another expression is go on a shopping spree …eg:

I went on a shopping spree (=went shopping and bought a lot of things) at the weekend and spent far too much money.The person is called shopaholic . Do you know there is a hongkong movie called "A Born Shopaholic"

i wish i were not a workaholic …...hehehe

Thanks for the slangs  you guys share with us. They are very  good…......Smile

09:11 AM Apr 17 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

He knew zip about running the company.= He knew nothing about the company…......

zero or nothing: The score of last night's hockey game was 4–zip.
 zip means nothing or zero…....

17 April

09:25 AM Apr 17 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

Top of the world, a song by the Carpenters.

You just graduated from college, fell in love with your sweetheart, the love of your life, came back from a shopping spree.You are wearing your best cloth, you look very sharp.You are smiling, laughing and chatting with your family and friends. The future seems so bright.I'm proud of you, YOU ARE ON TOP OF THE WORLD.

At the moment, I'm also on top of the world, I am felling great.Thks God, life is so wonderful..Smile

04:16 AM Apr 18 2007 |