Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

WE STRONGLY SUPPORT INNOCENT PALESTINIANS WHO ARE SUFFERING IN GAZA EVERY NOW AND THEN

saeed16

saeed16

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

05:07 PM Nov 17 2012 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

@zanaz:

Given your racist talk and use of the slur ‘Chosen people’, you should be more ashamed than me for some swearwords.

I appreciate your efforts to point out the other side of the story that I am aware of, but this war did not start last night.It started over 60 years ago, and it is more complicated than Hamas firing rockets and Isreal defending itself.

No, in this situation you needn’t change the subject and bring up unrelated history.

The rockets by Hamas started this war. Hamas is a terrorist group opposed to peace with Israel.

The only argument you have to bring up is that Israel has no right to exist, therefore they deserve it. Maybe other Arabs may agree with you, but many other people don’t.

Racism is when a person like you, or someone else from Danemark,Russia, Poland,,ect who happens to be blessed with a Jewish mother (yet he can’t point out Palestine on the map) has a right to “return” and settle in Palestine, while Palestinians who have been expelled from their own lands has no right to return or defend their occupied terrorities.

Judaism is an ethnically based religion and that is how a Jew is defined. A country that identifies itself as a Jewish states gives every Jew the right to live there, just like Italy and Ireland give their citizens and their descendants the right to live there.You bring up racism where it isn’t relevant, yet ignore it where it is.

11:12 AM Nov 19 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

I don’t have a right to live in Ireland. I’d have to immigrate like any other foreigner. There are many times as many people of Irish decent living here and in Australia than the island of Ireland is capable of housing. I point out only a questionable statement, I don’t wish to get involved in your argument personally. I am unaware of any nation that provides the kind of automatic citizenship to the decendents of former citizens as you describe except perhaps for Isreal. 

04:22 PM Nov 19 2012 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Jewish has been exciled from their spiritual homeland since the Roman surpression. Since then they have been scattered all over the world living in communities going through the strong wave of anti-Semitism and this is even seen on this page ( Fabs1 is right) and Holocust. It’s troubling, isn’t it? So, they decided to unite and had a huge support from Britain and the USA. Where else Jewish people should go? By the Bible, it’s their land and Palestians are their cousins.

04:41 PM Nov 19 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_of_return

Irish nationality law provides for Irish citizenship to be acquired on the basis of at least one Irish grandparent. Note that for the purposes of Irish nationality law a person born anywhere on the island of Ireland (including Northern Ireland) is considered “Irish.” A person born outside of Ireland with entitlement to Irish citizenship through an Irish-born grandparent may pass that right on to her or his own children. To do so, however, that person must register her or his birth in Ireland’s Foreign Births Register prior to the children’s births. Irish law also automatically grants citizenship at birth to any Individual born abroad to a parent born in Ireland, without the need to register with the DFA prior to the granting of citizen’s rights like holding an Irish passport”

When it comes to other nationalities such as Italian, you’re right. It isn’t as direct and one parent or grandparent has to at least have been an Italian citizen. As long as it is kept up, descendants essentially have rights to citizenship.

08:13 PM Nov 19 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

My family left Ireland 200 years ago. Most of the Jews in Isreal at 1948 didn’t have a grandparent from there either, the refugees anyhow. Like me, they had been gone for many generations. Also like me, just because their ancestors were forced from their lands by foreign invaders it doesn’t create a modern right of entitlement to return. Otherwise, Ireland would be a crowded little island.

09:32 PM Nov 19 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Jewish identity is ancient and the entire culture and religion keeps a connection to the land.

12:42 AM Nov 20 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Jewish culture and Jewish religion. It’s not a modern claim that can be recognized automatically. That the Ottomans lost the land to the Brits after WWI and the Brits allowed Jewish refugees to move there after WWII is a valid enough claim without trotting out my religion vs. yours. They warred, they lost, they whine. But that gives Isreal no rights to suplant them either. Heck if I had an answer I’d be somebody important. I do know you can’t abuse a group of people, make them cower at checkpoints and insult them and their faith, and not incur generational hatreds. I’m with Ola from Russia, I think we need to stop and pray. And Jewish American is not more identity than Irish American. While I wouldn’t expect my government to side with Ireland, many Irish Americans do and have in a situation you are well aware of which is very similar to this one. Not that we were right to do so but it happened.

12:49 AM Nov 20 2012 |

fabs1

fabs1

United Kingdom

Again I don’t expect you to understand.

Comparing Jewish identity to just any other identity is a fallacy.

01:00 AM Nov 20 2012 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

No, identity is a fallacy. We are born of Adam, there is one blood between us. There are no true identities apart from that. And I don’t expect you to understand either. Everyone wants to be Irish here on St. Pattys day. On what day does everyone here wish to be Jewish? Ok that wasn’t fair, but neither is it fair for you to just assume our identities don’t matter to us. My nation is new, and what is known of Irish culture gets spotty after a certain date, but there are such as those from Asia and Asia Minor with cultures thousands of years old. Unbroken lines going back to before Roman times. And a Roman era claim to land just won’t fly. If it did, most of Europe would be reclaimed by others and my nations population would drop (as well as that of many other nations, even ancient ones like Japan and China) by a substantial amount. Explain to me why Jewish identity differs from lets say, Hindu identity? And if possession is a valid support to a claim, they did possess for nearly 1300 unbroken years. Just saying peace, these ancient arguments will never be honored by the other side. It must be a new peace on new agreements. A clean slate is the only way at this point. But I’ve been wrong before.  

01:47 AM Nov 20 2012 |

zamalek

zamalek

Egypt

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=461911480527621

wobby jo:

i think this video will economize your words for them to understand 

01:49 PM Nov 20 2012 |