Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

An idea suddenly occured to me! Let's improve our english together ! Stir youself!!!1

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Let's go folks! One slang on day!

An idea suddenly occurred to me …......we can share the slangs or useful expressions you learned from movies or songs and you think very useful and practical in daily life  together…...................

There are many slangs in english and some of them can't be found in your textbook…. i think only the native speakers understand the deep meaning of it….

but they are very useful and enrich  your language ., the problem is we seldom have the oppotunity to use them in our daily life so despite that we may have read the slang b4 but forget it very soon…......

eg :"she is always running the show' means she is the boss she decides …......

04:32 AM Apr 15 2007 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

At loose ends:nothing to do and feel boring & Get up with the lark

I am afraid i will be at loose ends this three days. My boyfriend is going on a fishing trip with his buddies, and all my girl friends are away on vacation. Nothing for me to do but stay at home, wash my hair and maybe watch a little TV.But smetimes i think at loose ends is not always a bad thing. I can take the opportunity to have a good relaxation.Go to bed early ,get up with the lark and then go for a little wander in the street enjoying the beautiful sunlight and fresh air of the morning.

12:40 PM May 05 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

cold shoulder:a show of deliberate indifference or disregard

Today i was invited to a fancy restaurant to attend a wedding ceremony.The people sitting beside me around the same table were friendly and polite.But one of the waiters gave me the cold shoulder when i asked for a second drink. Let me tell you. I'll never go to a restaurant like that again.

04:19 AM May 06 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

Every time when you go out meal with your colleagues or friends, who is the one pick up the tab?

Personally, i prefer go dutch. Each of us pays his/her own bill. Ortherwise my thoughts will be running upon the new bill he paid, i will feel like i owe him/her.The result will be endless treats

Pick up the tab=to foot the bill=It is my treat

Let's go Dutch=It is a Dutch treat=Let's split the bill

01:57 AM May 08 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

up to something…..

Today when i were having lunch with my friend in macdonald's, i suddenly found a guy was up to something. He walked around a motor for a while and then he pretented having something dropped on to the ground.He stooped ,unlocked the mortor and then rode the motor disappearing in the distance.

He is up to something . Don't believe him.

what does"up to something" mean? guess it….........   

11:30 AM May 08 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

nobody comes here anymore…......

11:31 AM May 08 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

Bumper to Bumper.

It was a wendy and rainy morning when I got up with the lark, took a shower and got dressed then rushed to the parking lot, got into my car and hit the street.I was two hour late for picking up her at her home.Instead of heading North highway, unfortunately I took the wrong road toward the underpass that lead to the busy business districk.Here I was stuck in the traffic, I looked around, cars were bumper to bumper hardly moved forward.There was no way to escape, I was trapped in my damn small car.Thinking about her waiting for me drove me crazy !! Yell

02:41 AM May 09 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

Here is the story about the girl in red dress goes on… 

I promised her to take her to the theater to see SIDEWAYS, a good movie I want her to see.Then I would take her to a nearby Chinese restaurant ordering the Peking Duck, one of famous chinese cuisines, drinking a glass of wine and spend the night together.Of course, I want it become a memorable night.To make her happy, I agreed she would pick up the tab. I hope I could not encounter any waiter who would ruin the wonderful night by giving us unwanted cold shoulder !

Have you watched the movie ? Sideways is really a good film. The story is about two best friends who take a Wine-tasting trip, pondering the questions about the direction in life.One guy is a failed novelist who is seeking the meaning of life in the taste of different kinds of wine, hoping to find the perfect taste. The other guy is indulging his free time as a bachelor in seeking illicit sexual spree before his wedding day six months away. I highly recommend the film to anyone who wants to enjoy a good one.It is also the film where I picked up the above slang (bumper to bumper )Cool

03:07 AM May 09 2007 |

joyce2010

joyce2010

China

I want to inprove my english ,but ,mang year past ,I did not know!

05:19 AM May 09 2007 |

wendy wang

wendy wang

China

eye-opener and jump on the bandwagon

A female friend of mine who is usually pretty quiet danced and sangs very at yesterday 's night party. Her behaviour of last night was an eye-opener.

Yesterday was the first work day after May Day. One of my colleages returned from Tibet and took tons of facinating photograghs which were really eye-openers.

Edorado your unique taste to moives is an eye-opener to me and no mistake. It seems you are not one of those jumping on the bandwagon.I haven't watched it yet.

eye-opener(learn something suprisingly) 

jump on the bandwagon( get involved in something that has recently become very popular.)

Joyce2010….join us and your english will be improved …..heheheSmile

12:34 PM May 09 2007 |

edorado

Indonesia

A PIN IN THE ASS.

She is a damn too smart, a really pain in the ass ! An eye opener, do you think so ? I get to know more about her after the last night dinner.She is also an English teacher at  Kindergarten for exclusively top party leaders privileged but moronic kids. Surprised

Don't get me wrong I said something negative about her, she is always my Star.She is a primadona where ever she is, so sure of herself, attracts a number of eligible bachelors and particularly top party leaders, but in the eyes of their wifes she is a pain in the butt. When she is teaching at the school, you'll see many fathers of the kids are around as if they were good fathers who come to pick up their kids. In fact the real reason those BIG SHOTS are there is to get a chance to glimpse on her.How amusing it is to see their acting when their wives are not around.

05:08 AM May 10 2007 |